Thursday, January 21, 2010

River Rod & Reel Set up for Wading.

Wanted to take some time during this winter weather to talk about what I like to use for wading around the Susquehanna. I won't mention brand's or specific outfits. After all, what you can afford to spend will determine what you buy.

One thing the internet can do is help you determine where to spend your money. For a low end shopper, spend the most money for the rod. In my opinion a 7ft graphite rod is just what you're looking for. You can easily cast a small lure, 1/8 oz. Yet still be sure it has enough backbone to help put pressure on that big one if you have to. Now match it with a nice spinning reel. I like to touch & feel the different models in the local tackle shop, or big box store. How much line can it hold is important. River fishing done right means you're gonna get hung up. So I like to know even if it's been a rough day I'm still going to have plenty of line left to throw. I look for a small reel that can hold the most line. Shimano FX1000FB Spinning Reel - 8 lb./240 yds

During high water I also bring a smaller set up with me. Smaller doesn't mean lighter! Here you may need to pull a big one out of some brush or weeds. Also access to the water may be limited, so a smaller rod will allow you to cast under and around trees. Reel is not as important, either spinning or baitcasting will do. I like braided line 15-20 pounds. Speaking of line, on my regular river rod I like 6-8 pound test mono. This will allow better casts, and more fish.